3.6.08

JOBY BAKER

A recurrent theme in Joby Baker´s work is the isolated figure of a man. While he was framing the pictures for a exhibition, Joby had a dream that throws light on his work as a whole, but especially on the pictures of single standing figures. He told the dream to his wife, the singer and composer Dory Previn, and she wrote it down as follows:

Dreamed I was naked.
Standing in front of a
black-board
Trying to make out my reflection
In the dull dark surface.
If I gazed hard enough
I could see parts of me
Reflected
But not all.
I take a piece of chalk
And start outlining
My form.
trying different angles,
I decided on drawing the
figure
Facing front
With arms at my side.
In the dream
I comment,
"This looks just like the
paintings."
Using the black as shadow,
Chalking the light areas,
I finish.
Then get a feeling
The work is accepted,
Framed,
Appreciated.